It's Fall - Oh Deer!
The temperatures are falling and the trees are vibrant with color! It is a beautiful time of year.
The cooler weather also means animal-related car accidents are likely to rise. Between October and December, the annual deer breeding season (known as the rut) occurs. Deer can be very active and unpredictable during this time, and many find their way to our roadways.
Five recommended safety tips:
1. Be alert!
- More deer are on the road around dusk and dawn.
- Deer crossing signs are posted where deer are likely to cross.
- Large deer populations are near wooded areas.
- Deer are herd animals – if you see one, it is likely there are more!
- Deer don't only live in rural areas.
2. Use high beam headlights when safe to do so to increase your visibility.
3. Reduce speed in areas where deer are suspected.
4. Wear your seatbelt or motorcycle helmet.
- The size of an adult male deer can be 200-plus pounds and a collision with one can pack a powerful punch.
- Contact with the animal alone was not the cause of the majority of fatalities from animal collisions. Safety belts and motorcycle helmets could have prevented many deaths according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. 1
5. Don't swerve!
- Swerving can cause you to lose control and hit an object, another vehicle, or even be involved in a rollover accident.
- Swerving to miss one deer can steer you into the path of another.
If you hit a deer:
- Pull over and call local law enforcement.
- Ask for medical assistance if you or your passengers are injured.
- Stay away from the animal! It could still be alive and panic.
- Report the accident to your insurance as soon as possible. Do not wash your car before you give your insurance company a chance to inspect your damage. The amount you pay (called your deductible) could be lower if the impact is confirmed to have resulted from an animal collision, rather than hitting another car (depending on your coverage selections).
Post authored by Lorali Todd. Originally published November 8, 2017. View original post at: https://wp.me/p1Iv7E-2xJ
Products underwritten by Central Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies. Copyright © 2017 Central Mutual Insurance Company. All rights reserved.